October 21, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Default New 5wt?

Looking for opinions on a new 5wt. My previous 5wt was a Scott S4. My backup (and currently my only 5wt) is a St. Croix Legend Ultra. UPS lost my S4 recently when I sent it to to be repaired so now I have $500 to play with. I know rods are a pretty personal choice, just looking for suggestions. I think the S4 was a little too fast for me so Iím leaning towards going with the St. Croix as my primary rod. Also looking into an Orvis Recon. Iím using Scientific Angler MPX floating line, as well as Rio sink tip and full sink lines. I appreciate any feedback.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Go old school and find a nice Sage XP on eBay. You won't be sorry.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown603 View Post
Go old school and find a nice Sage XP on eBay. You won't be sorry.
Old School XP--that is funny.
Doesn't seem so old to me. I only bought it from Stoneriver when still in New Boston.

LOL
Old 09-23-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Old School XP--that is funny.
Doesn't seem so old to me. I only bought it from Stoneriver when still in New Boston.

LOL
that's a sweet stick!!! A friend of mine fished one. When I first started fly fishing he'd let me borrow it. I was spoiled from the start.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 AM

I've fished with a fair number of different rods and even have a couple of legend ultras in the quiver, and in my mind if you want to go for a premium rod that is a little slower than the S4 I'd go G Series from Scott. It does everything well, dry flies, nymph rigs, and even streamers (well, except really big streamers but you wouldn't be chucking those with a 5wt anyway). It is super powerful and is a roll cast machine, but also handles delicate presentations very well.

That being said if I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket and I was looking for a trout rod I'd probably spend it on an entry level rod that fit my needs. We've found that the technology has come so far that even entry level trout rods fish really well. We fished both the echo base and the redington classic trout and liked them both a lot. Personally I'd save the cash on the trout/panfish rod and save it for a pike/saltwater rod, a new line or two, or tying materials.

My .02

Have fun choosing, it's like Christmas in September!

Mike
Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM

http://www.yellowstoneflyrods.com

A friend of mine gave me an 8'6" 3 wt for helping him drag out a moose. This was a rod he had kicking around he won at some sort of raffle or supper.

I put an LL Bean reel I bought on sale for 30.00, and Rio Gold WF. I'm actually beyond happy with how far it will cast. I was catching 10-14 inch brook trout in a pond with it all last week, and it was a blast.

Maybe look into one of their 5wts. They offer a lifetime warranty on their rods as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM

I appreciate all the replies. Uptown - The Sage XP has been a rod I've considered several times over the years. And although I've never had the opportunity to cast one, it always just sounded too fast for me. Maybe after using the S4 for several years I should give it a try. Meaton - I've read a lot about the Scott G series and love what i hear. Unfortunately, they are a bit out of my price range. I'll be checking eBay.

-Thanks-
Old 09-24-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich015 View Post
I appreciate all the replies. Uptown - The Sage XP has been a rod I've considered several times over the years. And although I've never had the opportunity to cast one, it always just sounded too fast for me. Maybe after using the S4 for several years I should give it a try. Meaton - I've read a lot about the Scott G series and love what i hear. Unfortunately, they are a bit out of my price range. I'll be checking eBay.

-Thanks-
I've only ever fished Sage rods as that's what my local shop (and friend) sold and owned.

I owned a Z-Axis which was a fast action rod. I own a TCX now which I feel is a bit faster then the Z was. The XP was much slower, and frankly as close to perfect for my taste. I did have a chance to fish a 99 which I didn't care for much. I don't know if it was the overall length I couldn't get used to , or just that is felt "soft" in the center of the rod.

What I liked about the XP the most was how well it casted a full sink line, as well as floating. The faster action rods like the Z and TCX keep such a tight loop it's easy get a few tailing loops in a day of casting that heavy of a line once I get tired and lazy.