August 24, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Default It depends

Uptown asked if “most” hits came as the fly starts to rise. I wouldn’t say most but plenty do. I think it’s related in the case of midges at what stage of the hatch your in. Prior to emerging midges move close to the bottom and that’s where the fish are feeding. Later as the hatch progresses they swim vigorously to the surface and the fish pick them off on the way. There are other variables like water temperature and clarity. I does pay to fish the fly all the way to the boat with a sinking line.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Uptown asked if ďmostĒ hits came as the fly starts to rise. I wouldnít say most but plenty do. I think itís related in the case of midges at what stage of the hatch your in. Prior to emerging midges move close to the bottom and thatís where the fish are feeding. Later as the hatch progresses they swim vigorously to the surface and the fish pick them off on the way. There are other variables like water temperature and clarity. I does pay to fish the fly all the way to the boat with a sinking line.
Biggest mistake a lot of people make when fishing stillwater... They don't fish a sinking lines back to the boat and the don't fish the 'hang'
Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 AM

With all the talk about sinking lines I wonder how many people would fare better with a spinning reel with light fluorocarbon or mono when trying to fish deep. I've fished the sinking lines in ffo ponds because I've had to and spending all that time counting trying to fish 15 or 20 feet of water is not enjoyable.

It's kind of like heaving around a nymphing rig with a clunky strike indicator. No fun at all to lob around the river and about the most inelegant way to fly fish. A little spinning reel with 4 lb test on the fly rod with the same indicator and split shot is a lot more efficient and enjoyable to manage. But you've got to be ready for the dirty looks of the purists. :P
Old 07-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NH View Post
With all the talk about sinking lines I wonder how many people would fare better with a spinning reel with light fluorocarbon or mono when trying to fish deep. I've fished the sinking lines in ffo ponds because I've had to and spending all that time counting trying to fish 15 or 20 feet of water is not enjoyable.

It's kind of like heaving around a nymphing rig with a clunky strike indicator. No fun at all to lob around the river and about the most inelegant way to fly fish. A little spinning reel with 4 lb test on the fly rod with the same indicator and split shot is a lot more efficient and enjoyable to manage. But you've got to be ready for the dirty looks of the purists. :P
I think the only thing better then the dirty looks you'll get is the look on your face when you get a ticket from a fish cop 'cause that combination ain't legal!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:

I personally don't mind the meticulous means of dredge fishing. As I said earlier.... finding the "right fly" is only part of the puzzle. Count, strip speed, and fly is a challenge. I assume that's why most of us fish. For the challenge......
Old 07-16-2019, 05:15 AM

I just purchased the Cortland 444 type 6 sinking line yesterday. Trying something different other than the Rio deep 7. When Rio changed the construction of the line, it made it easier to bend and knot up. The memory in the Rio is awful and I can't deal with it any longer. I hope the Cortland doesn't do the same thing.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
I think the only thing better then the dirty looks you'll get is the look on your face when you get a ticket from a fish cop 'cause that combination ain't legal!
Bull pucky it's not legal. You ought to be sure you know what you're talking about before you make statements like that.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Bull pucky it's not legal. You ought to be sure you know what you're talking about before you make statements like that.
I'm sure what he was referring to is "not legal" in FFO waters, which it is not.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 07-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
I'm sure what he was referring to is "not legal" in FFO waters, which it is not.
Yeah, so there Mr. Bull pucky! Why don't you try it and let us all know how much the fine is!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Spinning gear too easy

I figured out how to catch them all with spin gear and canned corn 50 years ago.This was pre power bait days. In rivers I could catch them all with minnows or spoons. I changed to fly gear for the challenge of fooling them with a few feathers and some tread. I have no problems with the bait folks as long as they stay the f#*@ out of FFO water. Trust me when I say many do not. They just canít stand the thought we may be letting them go to catch them again. Take pictures of them and what ever POS they drove there in. The COís love that kind of thing.