June 17, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Pyramid Lake , Nevada

Wife gave me a Xmas present of a trip to Pyramid Lake to fish for the big Cutthroats there. Something I have wanted to do for some time. Anyone been there?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:47 AM

Nope but I suppose if my wife got me a trip as a gift... Maybe your wife and my wife should start hanging out Those big lohanton cutties look fun! Dont forget your stepladder
Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Pyramid

My buddy Max lives in Reno and fishes Pyramid all the time. He knows the guides, set ups and access.
Its drifting nymphs under a bobber and pitching leeches from ladders.
A very seasonal fishery.
PM me if you want info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg max and cut.jpg (94.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Yeah, spent a couple of weeks there back in January 2015. Crazy crazy place. We were unguided and got consistently into fish in the 15-22 inch range (consistently means a couple a day) and landed a few bigger fish as well. I was working while we were there so we were just getting out for a couple hours a day during the week and hitting it hard on the weekends.

Jimmy229oz pretty much describes it to a T; either bobber fishing in a lake (weird but super effective) or fishing leeches, baitfish patterns and boobies (floating flies on a sinking line so they float up off the bottom).

The patterns in general are pretty straightforward if you want to tie your own before you go.

You may want to practice casting into wind, our experience there was that the fishing was better the nastier the weather. We definitely had our best luck in the roughest conditions.

If you want more info feel free to shoot me a PM.

Have an awesome time! Where else do you have the chance to catch a 20+lb trout while standing on a ladder in a giant lake? So crazy and so fun!

Mike