August 23, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Smile Recommendations

Hello,

I am from Nebraska and will be visiting a friend in Loudon. I will be fly fishing in NH for the first time at the end of April for 10 days. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what flies to tie up for this trip? Look forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you,

Tammy
Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 AM

For ponds, Clough Pond is heavily stocked for opening day (Sat, April 27, this year). It's crowded on weekends but should be good for fly fishing during the week if you can get on it. Any streamer or wet pattern on a sink-tip or full sink line should bring you good action.

For streams, the Soucook River flows through there and surrounding towns. It will likely be stocked too, but flows are highly variable in April (snow runoff) and it may or may not be fishable at that time.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM

As for flies your generic, basic trout flies will work fine. By the end of April stocking is pretty much in full swing and at that time those fish won't be too picky.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:18 PM

You should be able to catch all the stockies you want in the area with Muddlers and Hornbergs.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:26 PM

Thank you for the information! That Soucook creek is right behind my friends house so we will definitely hit that one up!