June 17, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM

I got my digital temp gauge at Walmart. Was $7 or 8 if I remember right, in the kitchen section. Black plastic handle with readout and folding metal probe. For meat I think. I've tested its accuracy and it's pretty close and have had no trouble. It reads temps almost instantly.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:08 PM

that digital thermometer worked great, except i'm a klutz and kept dropping in the water. wound up rusting out on me. the past year i've been using an orvis thermometer. harder to read (bad eyes), prob not as accurate as the digital, but most importantly i haven't been able to break it yet.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Duh. Was at Walmart the other day. Never thought to look anywhere other than the fishing and hunting dept. At $8 it's a no brainier to get two of them.
Thanks everyone. Remote trout ponds open this Saturday.
ZW
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWolfe View Post
Remote trout ponds open this Saturday.
ZW
How'd you do?
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 PM

I went to the F&G remote ponds talk. First of all, I want to say that I am NOT knocking the presenter, Rick Estes. However, my expectation of the talk and the actual information presented was vastly different. I expected info on the ponds themselves, but instead got a recitation regarding equipment needed (float tubes, PFD, matches, etc.) that one should carry into a remote pond for safe and secure trips. Good info, but just not what I had hoped to learn. I even brought my Gazetteer in hopes of good info, but had no reason to even open it.
A list of remote managed ponds can be found at: https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fis...ut-remote.html

I was hoping to learn which ones might be worth the effort, but did not. Maybe F&G can schedule another session on the Ponds themselves. Yes, I understand that exploring is part of the experience, but a 5 mi hike for a bad experience is not worth the trouble at this point in my life.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
How'd you do?
Didn't go out till Monday. Retired end of the year and remembered, Hey , I don't have to fish on weekends anymore. I can do weekdays and it was the better day anyway but windy! I ended up at White Pond with my new float tube. Water was about 50 degrees and even with neoprene I froze my lures off. Stayed out only 45 min but got 5 brookies on Grey Ghost. Might need to get a canoe or Kayak.
ZW
Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWolfe View Post
Didn't go out till Monday. Retired end of the year and remembered, Hey , I don't have to fish on weekends anymore. I can do weekdays and it was the better day anyway but windy! I ended up at White Pond with my new float tube. Water was about 50 degrees and even with neoprene I froze my lures off. Stayed out only 45 min but got 5 brookies on Grey Ghost. Might need to get a canoe or Kayak.
ZW
I live 10 minutes down the road from White Pond, I am there 2 to 3 times a week this time of year getting my early season fix in. I was there on Saturday a.m and Sunday afternoon in my small 12 foot boat. Well over 25 fish caught each trip, all brookies no rainbows. Gotta wait for the second stocking for those this year I suppose. Everything was caught on a softhackle fished just under the surface. Later I switched to a GG for a little top water action. Absolutely no insects seen or fish observed feeding at all. Water temp was 43 on Saturday am

https://www.instagram.com/swamptroutnh

Last edited by Redneck_Flashaboo; 05-01-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmudgn View Post
A list of remote managed ponds can be found at: https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fis...ut-remote.html
Strange that this isn't a complete list of remote (walk-in) ponds that are managed (stocked) for trout. Maybe I'm misunderstanding their definition of "remote." For instance, I'd consider Coldrain Pond in New Durham a remote pond with a 15-20 minute hike, but I wouldn't consider Coon Brook Bog in Pittsburg remote, as you can drive right up to the dam. There are other truly remote (and stocked) ponds that aren't on this list, as well.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
Strange that this isn't a complete list of remote (walk-in) ponds that are managed (stocked) for trout. Maybe I'm misunderstanding their definition of "remote." For instance, I'd consider Coldrain Pond in New Durham a remote pond with a 15-20 minute hike, but I wouldn't consider Coon Brook Bog in Pittsburg remote, as you can drive right up to the dam. There are other truly remote (and stocked) ponds that aren't on this list, as well.

Agree. Another example is Jones pond in Middleton. It's not on the remote ponds list and is approx. a 15 min. hike in. Granted, there is a road up to the pond but it's clearly marked as no vehicle access.

Steve, I was trying to PM you but wasn't allowed for some reason. I just wanted to know if you knew a fellow from Hampton by the name of Phil Maloney who passed away recently? He was an avid skier and frequented Sugarloaf.
ZW