July 17, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Anyone target the green drake hatch?

Used to love fishing this hatch on a pond up north and it seemed to usually occur around the end of May. Will be up there again at the end of this week and wondering if it's too late or if the cold, wet Spring delayed the hatch any this year. Used to love fishing this hatch almost as much as the hex hatch because the flies are big and green drakes hatch in the middle of the day. Anyone seen any green drakes hatching lately?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Have not seen any down here in MA - though just got the RiverBum blog in my inbox - talking about the Green Drake Hatch - they say it happens when the Northern Catalpa tree blooms ... Good Luck, let us know how you do!
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgurke View Post
Have not seen any down here in MA - though just got the RiverBum blog in my inbox - talking about the Green Drake Hatch - they say it happens when the Northern Catalpa tree blooms ... Good Luck, let us know how you do!
Interesting . . . There's two big catalpas that I drive by on the way to work and I was just noticing how they seem to be the last trees to leaf out. Everything else is leafed out but those two trees are just starting to leaf out. I've always found it happens around the last few days in May on the pond I fish it. Was up there this weekend, saw a total of three green drakes come off mid-afternoon (which is when they usually hatch) along with a couple caddis. But the trout weren't having it. Water temp was 57 degrees. I'm assuming I missed it because the lack of any strikes made it seem like the trout were extra full from gorging on green drakes for the past week. I'll be up there again, but probably not for a couple weeks, and then it should be HEX TIME!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Default Drakes

The Drakes just started to pop on the Delaware system last weekend. Saturday was the first day they were seen.
My thought is that this weekend they should start popping in MA and the week after in NH. The hatch generally rides the water temps. The Delaware was in the high 50s last week.