June 3, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM

Default Weighted Prince Nymph

Hello everyone. I was wondering your thoughts on weighted bead head prince nymphs vs weighted non beaded prince nymphs. By that I mean why would one use one vs the other if they are both weighted? And the next question is I have only seen beaded ones with a gold bead. Is there a time where a black bead would be effective? I have just recently invested a bunch of money into fly tying equipment and materials and as of yet don't quite understand they whys to some flies. Thank you so much for your help and input.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM

Variety is always good. I usually fish bead head flies (esp. with tungsten beads) because I like the extra weight and the look. Of course you can weight a non-BH fly with wire but I primarily use BH's. That said, it's definitely important to have both! If a BH isn't working mix it up and try a non-BH or run a tandem rig with both.

If I'm fishing a highly pressured fishery then it definitely doesn't hurt to try some non-BH's, the thought being that maybe fish get spooked by the association of beads (who knows if it's true though). Honestly I couldn't tell you any facts about one bead color over another, although I'm sure some one here could try. Tie a handful of each, see what works best, then tie more of those!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Default Beads?

I haven't seen a lot of difference among tungsten beads (black), brass beads, or no beads.

What does matter, much more so than you'd think, is the size of the fly. I've had days when size #18-22 flies work great, but the 'identical' fly in a size #12-16 doesn't work at all.

The opposite happens, too. This fall, fish were all over a #6 slumpbuster, but wouldn't touch the same fly in a #10.

The answer overall, I guess, is to be willing to try lots of different flies and different sizes of the 'same' flies, as jct133 says.

― Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-05-2015, 03:25 PM

I don't like bead heads in ponds. The fish have too much time to look the fly over. Not too many naturals with big gold heads on 'em.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 AM

not too many naturals with feathers on them either

My Midge Page

Flytying: New & Old
Old 01-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Gold bead, black bead, red bead, no bead... whatever!

Its all about variety, man! Tie them all up! That's the benefit of tying your own flies, you can create a variety of flies that you can't necessarily buy, plus you can experiment with your own designs! Just because you see bead head prince nymphs with just gold beads doesn't mean that one with a different color bead wont work. If anything when fishing a highly pressured water i'd definitely reach for a fly that's different, i.e. a fly with a red bead instead of a gold bead because its a little different but different enough to where the fish haven't seen that 'model' yet and chances are you'll have a really good day, dude.

So the morale of my rambling is: Tie 'em all, fish 'em all, loose 'em all, RE-TIE 'em all and repeat.

Happy tying!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:27 PM

Old 05-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Default Love prince nymphs

As far as the bead vs no bead debate I think that the bead is always the way to go for the extra flash. In my opinion, tungsten beads are by far the best and worth the extra money to get the fly as deep as possible. The only time I use weighted non bead headed prince nymphs is when I run out of tungsten beads.