July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Default Profile spin fisher again.

For the second consecutive trip, I have forced the same spin fishermen to leave Profile lake. The guy has it down. He parks in the southern lot and sneaks down the beach to the grove of spruce at the end so he can't be seen from the road. He cast out his bait sets his rod down on the rocks and tucks back up in the trees. He has a big silver net with a green nylon bag. A big silver spinning reel is very noticeable from a distance. I was all the way down the other end but I had seen show before. He knows it takes a long time with the float tube against a stiff wind and will make you fin all the back to a point where he can get away clean. He just picks up his gear and walks slowly away. The coward doesn't let you get close enough for a good look or see his vehicle. The last time he grabbed his stuff and went up the bank to the highway because another fly fisherman was at the path to the lot. He's a little guy and arrogant too! He likes a dark green fatigue cap. If any one gets his plate number or gets a good look at the little jerk send me a PM. I will be calling the local CO tommorow. I did tell two other spin guys I met at the lot to move along as they where getting their rods out of the truck. I wasn't sure what their deal was. The first guy knows exactly what he doing. This is the fourth consecutive trip to a FFO where I have asked spin fishers to go fish somewhere else.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish
Default Operation Game thief

1-800-344-4262...I've called at least five times this summer. They don't always get there in time, but sometimes they do. I call right when I see someone poaching.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Things like that just piss me off... It is the same worm dunking/powerbaiting people that clean the fisheries out. Some people need to realize that a fishery is producing well BECAUSE of strict FFO regs. But you know, people would rather catch fish illegally than learn something new.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Talking Operation game thief.

I call too but you need a discription and a plate number on the vehicle and a good description of the criminal. It's probably best that he took off. I was pretty pissed. I could have got myself in trouble.
I called in a couple of drunken rednecks at the same place a few years ago. The warden saw the van with the plate I provided and spun around and caught them. They confessed and were punished. I haven't seen them back.
I stopped fishing the Saco in North Conway because of the level of poaching and disregard of the regulations. It's not worth the agrivation.

Last edited by bridgeman; 09-21-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Default They don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookieSlayah View Post
Some people need to realize that a fishery is producing well BECAUSE of strict FFO regs.
In Maine, there's been a squabble for years over the fact that Maine stocks some FFO streams heavily.

The non-FF people resent that stocking very much, and they're pretty vocal about it.

― Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by plecain; 09-21-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Echo lake at the other end of the upper lot from Profile is heavily stocked and a general regulation trout pond. There is no excuse. Unless the other place is cleaned out buy the same knuckle dragging morons.
Maine has a few. Have you seen Northwoods law? Yikes! The dump truck of apples in the back yard in a no bait state was hilarious.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 AM

That was a great Nortwoods Law episode!

I typically park at the southern end of Profile so if that SOB is reading this, beware.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Called operation game thief on a guy fishing a local native stream after it had closed for the season today. CO said he would be swinging by their house since they left before he got their.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Okay...So I have to admit, I have never pond or lake fished for a trout in my life. I have always streamed or river fished. But! Thats not saying I never will fish a pond or lake.
So if I am right, Echo lake, which I think is more of a pond is at the base of Cannon on the left going through the notch headed nort. Right? Wrong?
So where is this Profile Lake?
Just curious.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Both in the notch

They are both at the base of Cannon mtn. Profile is south of the larger Echo. They are divided by the tram parking lot and what used to be the Profile viewing area.
The fishing is poor and I would discourage anyone from fishing there. It's poached clean. What fish are there are very difficult and jaded. I continue to fish there as punishment for some of my youthful indiscretions. I also hate to have a perfectly good casting session ruined by pesky brookies. The wind is also fierce there due to the Venturi effect of the knotch and it rains or snows almost every day. I highly recommend Upper Hall pond as an alternative.