September 17, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Red face Visting from VA, Help! which river this weekend?

So I'm visiting family this weekend and have set a whole day aside (gotten one from my wife and kids) to go fly fishing this Saturday. I had grand plans to drive up to the Saco river in North Conway, make my visit to North Country Angler and then slay it on the river.

Now I am not sure what to do. Looks like a lot of rain Thursday/Friday so I'm concerned that the water could be raging. I heard a report on facebook that the Saco had very poor fishing recently.

I have considered changing my plans to the Contoocook river (I'm staying in the Alton area), but with no fly shop nearby to give me some directions I don't really know where to go other than "below the bridge to the broken dam" in Henniker.

Not looking for anyone's honey hole, just trying to get to the correct river for the weather/bite, the correct section that is wading friendly, and maybe hook up on a few anything. I am an equal opportunity fly fisher so while I would love to get a huge brown trout or a nice rainbow, I am happy with a bass any day.

Thanks

I appreciate
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM

The Contoocook has a fly fishing area demarked with lines and signs. It ends just above the old dam they took out in Henniker, and goes a couple miles upstream to a wire marker across the river. That said, the fish move around beyond both ends. It is running at around 500 CFS, which I think is good on that river. Deep Pools, pocket water and runs everywhere, a "bouldery" river. F&G puts a lot of fish in there, and in all flavors hah! There is a dirt road on the opposite side of the river in the fly area and I think has better access.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:56 PM

Tony gave some good info. For a first timer, follow the river on western ave. Thereís the big bend pool which is very wadable, holds fish, and you probably wonít be alone. A little further up youíll see a pull off, the conservation area. You can usually find fish there. About 100yds further west, youíll see a little dirt rd going into the trees. They launch kayaks there, but if you go down youíll see an upper and lower pool. Iíve found fish in the lower pool, just havenít spent a lot of time on the upper.

You can also take the dirt rd on the other side, and get to some different spots. Just check the flow and the gauge height. Above 7í can be tough wading. Think last week they were releasing water at the upstream dam during the day...

A little further on rt 9 is beard brook. Fish from the Chinese restaurant upstream.

Weathers going to be nice, I donít expect youíll be lonely. Feel free to say hi to an old man in a white baseball cap with a bamboo rod. Altho I might try the Deerfield.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2019, 06:39 PM

Saco fished poorly last weekend, and the Ellis was dead... Water was a bit high, and cold (40-42). Thin blue lines in the Mtnís also fished tough.
Iím not going to complain about cold rivers, but they are delaying some traditional bugs (Cahill/Red Quill, etc.) that should be prolific up there right now.

You could also take a shot at the Winnipesaukee River. Not too sure how thatís been fishing, but others may chime in.
Best of luck!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM

Great information! I really appreciate the information. The directions especially help clarify the NH " 2500 ft from town..." Directions. I was considering the lamprey, but I think I'm going contoocook and maybe the w river the next day. I'll make sure to say hi!