August 25, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Not as many fishermen?

I'm curious if you guys are noticing the same thing my friends and I have been? Last Sunday we were the only 3 on Profile from 7-9:30. I've been to Sky numerous times and the most tubes or boats I've seen on the water other then myself and fishing partners, was one or none. We went to Echo for a couple hours as well where we did see two boats with fishermen , and a husband and wife fishing from kayaks. But that's it.

I took my daughter to Hopkins pond on the first Sunday of trout season. Generally as a rule, the shorelines would be loaded with the lawn chair / power bait crew. Not a soul there. I've eaten lunch there many times through out the summer with nobody around. Are people "too busy" to fish? I know I got a late start this year because of kids baseball seasons, but I'm doing everything I can to make up for lost time regardless of how bad the fishing is right now.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Default Winnipesaukee

Winnipesaukee has almost no trout and salmon fishing on the south end. The fishing is absolutely terrible due to lack of salmon. Ice fishing, advanced fishing technologies and stocking issues have collapsed the salmon fishery.
I have been striper and bass fishing. Stocked trout fishing has not been appealing when fifty striper days are common on the coast.
I also donít see many young people fishing these days. They must be using the fishing app on their phones to play fishing games. You donít need any effort to do that.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:12 AM

Default Not as many fishermen?

If I remember correctly the weather wasn't too good the first week of the designated trout ponds this year and that keeps quite a few people away.

If you are referring to the Hopkins pond up by Andover, from what I heard the place was a madhouse on opening day. Maybe that's why it was near empty the day after.

From what I've been seeing over the years is that you will see more people fishing up until Memorial Day. Then it slows down through the 4th of July. Then after that you will see less and less people until Labor day then it picks up a bit until Columbus day. Then after that it's there's hardly anybody around.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM

They're kinda like the black flies... Once it gets nicer out they become pretty abundant!

I've spent time in Pittsburg, Errol and the White Mountains so far this year and there has been no shortage of other anglers!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
If I remember correctly the weather wasn't too good the first week of the designated trout ponds this year and that keeps quite a few people away.

If you are referring to the Hopkins pond up by Andover, from what I heard the place was a madhouse on opening day. Maybe that's why it was near empty the day after.

From what I've been seeing over the years is that you will see more people fishing up until Memorial Day. Then it slows down through the 4th of July. Then after that you will see less and less people until Labor day then it picks up a bit until Columbus day. Then after that it's there's hardly anybody around.
I've lived and fished in NH my entire life. I guided for a 3 years spell, and worked at two different mom and pop sporting good stores over that time. I've seen the people come and go, but not like this. Usually there are still a few die hards on Russell, Sky, Profile, Echo, Hall or any other central NH pond even this time of year. I've never seen it so dead.

Yes Hopkins in Andover . I didn't make it there opening day due to one of my kids baseball game, but when we went in on Sunday there were still fish there, and honestly not much sign of travel. usually the two pull offs prior to the boat launch are rutted up pretty good. Not the case this year. I know Morey pond was stocked late due to the road in being impassable for the stock truck until the mud dried up a bit, and highland stayed pretty cold longer then usual so stocking was late there as well.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 AM

I get the same impression, Uptown.

I've fished Sky a few times this year and there would hardly be anyone else out on the pond.

Going up to Pittsburg and on the way back, as we drove past Profile and Echo, sometimes we saw not a soul fishing those lakes.

Perhaps the fishing at a lot of these places isn't as good as it used to be. Of course, praising the "good ole days" is what old farts like me tend to do
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm View Post
I get the same impression, Uptown.

I've fished Sky a few times this year and there would hardly be anyone else out on the pond.

Going up to Pittsburg and on the way back, as we drove past Profile and Echo, sometimes we saw not a soul fishing those lakes.

Perhaps the fishing at a lot of these places isn't as good as it used to be. Of course, praising the "good ole days" is what old farts like me tend to do
I've caught some very respectable fish in all those ponds this year so far. Honestly, I'm packing up my truck in a few hours to fish Echo until dark.