September 16, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Default Thinking about a skiff for Great Bay and River

I am kicking around the idea of getting a small boat for fishing great bay and the river. I found a couple of skiffs, and a couple of friends say it'll be exactly what I want. Another friend, who I trust greatly, is cautioning that there's enough chop in great bay that a flats boat or skiff isn't a good idea.

Anyone have any opinions about a flats boat in great bay, specifically a mako 18 lts (pic below)? I want something small and easy to launch single handedly, and this seems to fit the bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-LTS_img186416_700.jpg (25.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to take a rig like that under the General Sullivan during an angry outgoing.

I sold my 19' center console this past spring after many trips on the Piscataqua, Little and Great Bays, and many points from Saco Bay to Boston Harbor. I would definitely look into a more conventional CC than a flats boat like that. Sure, the back channels around Goat Island or a weekday on Joppa would be sweet in that rig, but you can do all of that and more (and more safely) in a traditional CC.

Incidentally mine was a 19' Sea Pro with a Yami F150, so had plenty of power (and freeboard) to handle the tidal current and chop on the Piscataqua and mouth of the Merrimack. Yet, even then, some days it was white knuckles for sure.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"