September 27, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Seeking intel

Anybody been out yet? Will the shut down effect the F&G stocking efforts?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:28 PM

I have been told they have started stocking - rivers and ponds
Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 AM

NH F&G sez:
NH Fish and Game We will still be stocking as long as we have healthy staff to do it.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:55 AM

I've been out twice, but haven't found any trout yet. One river, hoping for holdovers and one small stream, hoping for wild fish. I plan to try again tomorrow. It's a good way to social distance. It's just me and the fish. Good luck and stay healthy!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:42 AM

I haven't gotten out yet myself. I have been told somebody saw a stocking truck on the road in the Milford area though.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:13 PM

I've been out a few times with no luck. With the whole social distancing effort, I've had the opportunity to spend more time in central NH and fish around these parts. I've fished the East Branch of the Pemi, Mad River and Merrymeeting. No luck anywhere. The Pemi and Mad River are different than the type of rivers I'm used to in southern NH and northern MA. How do you guys typically fish these type of rivers this time of year? Lots of little pockets and riffles and some nice pools, but the water moves fast and can't seem to find the fish.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldnstreamin View Post
I've been out a few times with no luck. With the whole social distancing effort, I've had the opportunity to spend more time in central NH and fish around these parts. I've fished the East Branch of the Pemi, Mad River and Merrymeeting. No luck anywhere. The Pemi and Mad River are different than the type of rivers I'm used to in southern NH and northern MA. How do you guys typically fish these type of rivers this time of year? Lots of little pockets and riffles and some nice pools, but the water moves fast and can't seem to find the fish.
Those are great rivers among my favorites in NH but I never go out on the Mad or upper Pemi until after the 4th of July generally - even in June the water can still be in the 40s and lower 50s. Once the water warms up (55-60 F) any well-placed dry fly will get a hit - Elk Hair Caddis or Parachute Adams in #14 or maybe a Stimulator. The water must be ice-cold now - only way to get a fish out of there would be to step on them then club them on the head Water still cold down here in MA - have got out a few times with only very limited success (2 trouts and a few fallfish so far this season). Pink SJW or a stonefly with a lot of weight has worked.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:38 AM

NH F&G is doing their regular stocking routine, starting in the south and gradually headed north. But due to COVID-19 they are moving some folks around (I'm friends with their PR guy Mark B and he's been . . . wait for it . . . hitting F&G maintained boat launch sites to pick up trash!). By moving around I mean, they're pulling folks (and trucks) away from their usual locales to beef up stocking efforts in other areas, which is exacerbated by the fact that some of their fleet are in really bad shape. This has prompted lots of wild - and hilarious - speculation from conspiracy-theorists on NH fishing-related Facebook pages. "I saw a Powder Mill truck down at Milford - those PM guys are stealing all the big ones and taking them up north!" Silly, ---- like that.

I've been out twice, skunked once, got into some rainbows the second time. First time I went out water temp was 41. Second time it was 45. And that was a week ago. Will be heading out tonight or tomorrow morning to a local stream and will most likely brave the crowds for the trout pond opener - although I'm really considering wearing a mask and gloves at the launch!

One thing folks should be mindful of this season - with the shutdown, and with lots of people suffering financially because of it - I suspect there will be a lot more "first timers" trying their luck this year, hoping to supplement their larders with some fresh fish. I'm worried about the same thing in the turkey woods come May 1st.

Be careful out there folks, and please try and model responsible, ethical angling behavior for all the newbies and weekend warriors that will no doubt be out there . . .
Old 04-23-2020, 06:48 PM

Hit the Contoocook in West Henniker this afternoon. Water high and still very cold. My wooly bugger presentation only produced a few bumps. Nice to get on the water and away from the craziness for a bit.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O
Default Seeking intel....

I have been fishing trout ponds. They have obviously been stocked. Good fishing has been delayed by cold temperatures. I have been watching the water temperatures and only in the last few days has the water hit 50 F. It is interesting how the water temperatures affect the fishing. Solar heating of specific spots in the pond causes localized heating where variations of about 5 degrees will cause bugs to emerge is small localized areas and the fish respond. I am amazed that the stocked fish were eating pellets less than 4 weeks ago, but now are turned on to these small events and are taking advantage of them. For my part, I could not identify the insects that the fish were going after, but I suspect black flies.(?)

I would travel around the edge of the lake, looking for evidence of feeding in the warmest part of the day. The only two spots that I found, were both shorelines facing the west and adjacent to a point of land. The Sun was lined up with that shore and fish were feeding within 15 ft of the shore. The supply of brook trout was endless and great practice for getting my reflexes working again!
Not all feeding was keyed in to sunlight. When I got back to shore on the sw side of the lake, I was in the shade, but there was a supply of warm water and there was a nice 30 minute period when the fish appeared and then disappeared late in the afternoon. Water temp there was 53-54. The temperature out in the middle of the lake was 47-48 then.

The local river nearby is still very cold. I have not even tried it. These spots are in Carroll County.